1. The Mango is the National Fruit of India.
2. The mango is known as the ‘king of fruits throughout the world.
3. Besides India, mango is the national fruit of Pakistan and the Philippines.
4. It is also the national tree of Bangladesh.
5. The exact origin of the term ‘mango’ is not known. It is believed to have come from the Portuguese term ‘manga’, which is probably from Malayalam ‘manga’.
6. The mango is a fleshy stone fruit belonging to the genus Mangifera.
7. Mangoes are rich in vitamin A, C, and D.
8. There are over 100 varieties of mangoes in India
9. They are in various range of sizes, shapes, and colors including yellow, orange, red, and green.
10. The mango tree can grow as high as 35-40 m. They are a long living trees with some specimens having been known to still bear fruit after 300 years.
11. It has been cultivated in India since time immemorial.
12. It is one of the most cultivated fruits in tropical areas of the world.
13. People eat mangoes ripe or prepare them green as pickles or sauces.
14. In India, it is described as the ‘Food of the Gods’, in the sacred Vedas.