‘Bombay High Court’ | Short Essay ‘High Court of Bombay’ (140 Words)

Bombay High Court

The ‘High Court of Bombay’ was inaugurated on 14th August 1862. It is one of the oldest High Courts in India. It has jurisdiction over the States of Maharashtra and Goa and the Union Territories of Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli. In addition to the Principal Seat at Bombay, it has benches at Aurangabad, Nagpur, and Panaji (Goa). The High Court has at present a sanctioned strength of 75 Judges.

The High Court of Bombay is situated in Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra. The work on the present building of the High Court was commenced in April 1871 and completed in November 1878. It was designed by British engineer Col. J.A. Fuller. It is one of the most distinguished high courts in the country. The first Chief Justice, the Attorney General, and the Solicitor General of Independent India were from this court.