Calcutta High Court
The High Court at Calcutta was brought into existence by the Letters Patent dated 14th May 1862, issued under the High Court’s Act, 1861. The High Court at Calcutta is the oldest High Court in India.
It was established as the High Court of Judicature at Fort William on 1 July 1862. The High Court of Judicature at Fort William was formally opened on 1 July 1862, with Sir Barnes Peacock as its first Chief Justice.
Justice Sumboo Nath Pandit was the first Indian to assume office as a Judge of the Calcutta High Court.
The Calcutta High Court has the distinction of being the first High Court and one of the three Chartered High Courts to be set up in India, along with the High Courts of Bombay, and Madras.
The building of the High Court was designed by Mr. Walter Granville. The High Court at Calcutta has jurisdiction over the state of West Bengal and the Union Territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The seat of the High Court is Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal. It also has a permanent Circuit Bench in Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The court has a sanctioned judge strength of 58.
- Short Essay ‘High Court Of Andhra Pradesh’ (100 Words)
- Change Of Address In LIC’ (100 Words)
- Short Essay ‘High Court Of Bombay’ (140 Words)
- Short Essay On ‘Shark’ (200 Words)
- Short Essay ‘High Court At Calcutta’ (200 Words)