‘Morarji Desai’ was born on February 29, 1896, in Bhadeli village, now in the Bulsar district of Gujarat. His father’s name was Ranchorji Desai, he was a school teacher at Bhavnagar (Saurashtra).
Morarji Desai underwent his primary schooling in Saurashtra. Later he joined Bai Ava Bai High School, Valsad. After graduating from Wilson College, Mumbai, he joined the civil service in Gujarat.
Morarji Desai resigned as deputy collector of Godhra in May 1930. He then joined the freedom struggle under Mahatma Gandhi and joined the civil disobedience movement against British rule in India. He spent many years in jail during the freedom struggle.
Morarji Desai was sworn in as the Prime Minister of India on March 24, 1977. He was honored with Pakistan’s Award Nishan-e-Pakistan. He was also honored with the great Indian civilian award ‘Bharat Ratna’.
Morarji Desai died on 10 April 1995 at the age of 99. For him, the truth was an article of faith and not an expediency. He seldom allowed his principles to be subordinated to the exigencies of the situation.
As Prime Minister, Morarji Desai was keen that the people of India must be helped to become fearless to an extent where even the highest in the land commits a wrong. “No one, not even the Prime Minister”, he repeatedly said, “should be above the law of the land”.
- Short Biography Of ‘Morarji Desai’
- Short Biography Of ‘M.G. Ramchandran’
- Short Biography Of ‘Vinoba Bhave’
- Short Biography Of ‘Bhagwan Das’
- Short Biography Of ‘Govind Ballabh Pant ‘
- Short Essay On ‘Monkey’ (225 Words)
- Short Essay On ‘Saraswati Puja’ (200 Words)
- Short Biography Of ‘Ram Nath Kovind’
- Short Essay On ‘Bhupen Hazarika’ (280 Words)