Justice K Subba Rao
‘Justice Koka Subba Rao’ (K. Subba Rao) was born on July 15, 1902 at Rajahmundry. His father was a lawyer, who died early.
He graduated from Government Arts College, Rajamundry and studied law at Madras Law College. He was a good sportsman and ever helpful to his friends. He practised in Madras High Court, from 1926.
He joined the office of his father-in-law, P.Venkata Raman Rao Naidu, who was a junior of the Andhra Kesari Prakasam Pantulu. When Sri Venkateswara University was established at Tirupati in 1954, Subbarao became its first Chancellor and remained in the position till the University Act was amended restoring the Chancellorship to the Governor.
He was recruited as District Munsif and worked for a few months in Bapatla, Guntur district. He was appointed as Judge, Madras High Court in March 1948 – July 1954. He was appointed as Chief Justice, Andhra High Court, Guntur July 5, 1954 – October 31, 1956, and Chief Justice Andhra Pradesh High Court, November 1, 1956 – January 1958.
He was appointed as Judge of, the Supreme Court, on January 31, 1958. Justice K. Subba Rao was appointed as Chief Justice of India on 30.06.1966. He retired on 11.04.1967. Bangalore University honoured him with Doctorate.
He died on May 6, 1976. His judgements are ever remembered whenever the fundamental rights of the citizens are challenged.