What is English Sentence explain with example?
A sentence is a group of words which makes a complete sense.
- Birds fly in the air.
- Read this lesson carefully.
- What is your name?
A sentence has been two main parts – the subject and the predicate. The subjects must contain a noun or a pronoun, and the predicate must contain a verb.
- Example of the subject – The boy, The sun, He
- Example of Predicate – is playing now, rises in the east, leaves for Bombay.
usually, a sentence consists of the following words in a certain order to make it meaningful.
Doctor or actor of the sentence is called the subject eg He, She, It, Ram the ship etc. a subject may be classified as-
- First Person – One who speaks- I, We.
- Second Person – One who listens – you, all of you.
- Third Person – The person spoken about is called the third person. -He, She, It, The boy, The sun.
The above said person may be either in singular number or in plural number. the table shows the person singular and plural wise.
|Person||Singular No.||Plural No.|
|2nd person||You||You, You all, All of you|
|3rd person||He, she, It, Ram, The Bus, The Sun, The girl, The Child, The Doctor.||They, Ram and Shyam, Dogs, Cows, The ship and the plane.|
The Verb :
The word that denotes action which is done by the subject in the sentence, It called the verb. the verb has two major parts:
- Main Verb : It is found in the following forms :
- present – go
- past – went
- past participle – gone
- present participle – going
2. Auxiliary Verb: am, is, are, was, were, have, has had, do, does did, shall, should, will, would, can, could, may, might, must, ought, need, dare, used to.
It is a noun or pronoun which tells us the person or thing to whom the action of the verb happened.
Example : He sells bicycles.
Kinds of sentence
- Assertive Sentence:
- affirmative sentence
- negative sentence
- Interrogative Sentence
- Imperative Sentence
- Exclamtory sentence
- Operative Sentence
- Write a letter to your cousin Ramesh describing to him your hostel life.
- Write a letter of thanks to your friend Ram who has sent you a birthday present.
- Write a letter to your friend Shyam requesting him to spend the summer holidays with you.
- Write a letter to Yugbodh Prakashan for sending you the books of your requirement by V.P.P.
- Write a letter to your friend who is in hospital after a serious accident.
- Write a letter to your friend Chandrika inviting her to attend the marriage ceremony of your elder sister.